I’m bad at pranks, but this seems like a fun one. Have yet to try it out.
- 8 Servings
- Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
Photo by: Taste of HomeApril Fools’ Cake Recipe
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix – (substitute : For each 1 cup of biscuit/baking mix called for in a recipe, use 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening [changing it to 1 T butter].)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 5 to 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine the pizza sauce, sausage and pepperoni; set aside. In another bowl, combine the biscuit mix, milk, eggs, butter and garlic salt. Spread half of the batter on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Spoon meat mixture over batter; cover with remaining batter.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Invert onto a baking sheet. Arrange cheese over cake. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Using two large metal spatulas, transfer cake to a serving platter; serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 497 calories, 33 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 1,776 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
April Fools’ Cake published in Country Woman March/April 2002, p24